- Team captains are responsible for bringing the 2 supplied dodgeballs to each game.
- Teams are responsible for keeping track of the score. Please designate one person/team to keep score.
2. Game Time/Default:
- Please arrive 15 minutes early so that you can start your games on time.
- Games are 55 minutes in length, with no stoppage for a halftime.
- Teams are comprised of 6 players with a minimum of 2 women and 2 men. A default will occur if any team cannot field a squad by 10 minutes after the official start time.
- Captains may agree to waive the rules regarding minimum people but this should be decided before the game starts. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS!
- The 6 players that start each game are the ONLY players that can play during that particular game (i.e. for that point). Substitute players must wait until the next game before playing. Teams can alter their roster for each game, as long as the gender requirements are met. Exception: Injured players can be substituted midway during a game if necessary (male for male, female for female only).
3. Starting the Game and General Rules:
i. Four (4) dodgeballs will be used for each game.
ii.To start a game, each team stands on their respective back line, with one player on the opposite bench. Four dodgeballs should be placed on the line at half court. The point will then be started by shouting "READY, SET, GO!"
iii. Once play has started, players must remain on their own side of half. A player may only cross the centre line when traveling to the bench.
iv. Players can lean over the half line to retrieve a ball, but the player cannot touch any part of their opponents half of the court.
v. A player on the bench may only catch one (1) ball at a time. A player on the bench may deflect a second ball to another player on the bench and if it is caught, this is a clean catch provided both players who touch the ball remain on the bench the entire time.
vi. Once a clean catch is made, the ball may be thrown back to his/her teammates and the thrower of the clean catch may run across centre and join the bench player(s). The runner may not interfere with play while running across to join the bench player(s).
vii. Players on the bench can retrieve balls on the ground, as long as they stay on the bench. If they fall off the bench while reaching to retrieve a ball they have to leave the bench and return to their side to try to get back to the bench once more. This includes falling off the bench while jumping up to catch a ball thrown by their teammate.
viii. Defending players must stand at least a metre in front of the bench.
viii. Players on their own team's half can reach across the centre line to grab a ball, but are not allowed to touch the other team's half of the court in their effort to do so.
- Matches will consist of as many games that can be played in the 55-minute time period.
- Each game won will count for one point.
- If a game is still being played when time expires, the team with the most players on the bench at the time will win the game. If it is a tie the game will not count as a point.
- Ties are allowed during the regular season. If a match is tied at the end of a playoff game, a 3-minute overtime session will break the tie. (a new game should be started right away with a full 6 players). If this final game is not completed within the 3 minutes, then the team with the most players on the bench will be declared the winner. If, after 3 minutes, there are the same number of pplayers on the bench, then the team that gets the next player on the bench wins the game.
6. Rough Play:
ANY ROUGH OR PHYSICAL PLAY WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM FURTHER LEAGUE PLAY AND MAY RESULT IN LIFETIME LEAGUE EXPULSION. PLEASE SEE THE SPORT AND SOCIAL CLUB POLICY SHEET FOR OUR OFFICIAL POLICY ON THIS SUBJECT. All players should go out of their way to avoid creating an unsafe play. This rule supersedes all others.